Table of Contents
- What is a stationary bike?
- Best Upright Exercise Bike Reviews for 2019
- Exerpeutic-Folding-Magnetic-Upright Bike with Pulse Review
- Marcy Foldable Exercise Bike review
- Body Rider Fan Bike Review
- FitDesk v2.0 Desk Exercise Bike with Massage Bar Review
- Exerpeutic 500 XLS Foldable Magnetic Upright Bike Review
- Stamina ATS Air Resistance Exercise Bike Review
- Schwinn 130 Upright Exercise Bike Review
- Nautilus U616 Upright Bike Review
- Velocity Exercise Dual Motion Recumbent Bike Review
- Schwinn AD6 Airdyne Upright Exercise Bike Review
- Benefits of an upright exercise bike
- Features to look out for
- Conclusion of upright stationary bike reviews
Last updated on: January 4th, 2019
Fitness and going to the gym plays a big role in our day to day lives these days. Most of us want to keep fit and be in shape and therefore you have to be conversant with the range of fitness equipment that exists in the current market. If you are on the hunt for a fitness machine that will be vital in achieving your fitness goals and also provide you with a great workout irrespective of the time of the day, you will find one that is more fun and enjoyable in our reviews. Best upright exercise bikes are very popular in fitness centers and in most of our homes and its reputation for working out on your cardiovascular health remains very robust.
What is a stationary bike?
A stationary bike is exercise bicycle and fitness equipment that is found in fitness centers and homes that provide workout programs for those people who want to work on their cardiovascular health. It comes in two types which include a recumbent exercise bike and an upright exercise bike, but they perform the same job but differ in the levels of degree and performance.
Best Upright Exercise Bike Reviews for 2019
Exerpeutic-Folding-Magnetic-Upright Bike with Pulse Review
It comes with a large LCD display that shows time, calories, speed and pulse scan.
The Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright bike can be folded, is built for easy assembling and bears 8 levels of magnetic resistance.
An extended leg stabilizer that will prevent you from tipping while using it.
It doesn’t only give a smooth workout but also provides a quiet workout session owing to a three piece crank system, a double drive and a high torque.
The best upright stationary bike has larger foot pedals with safe traps that provide more comfort and also has transport wheels that are essential when moving it from one place to another.
The Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright bike weighs about 39 lbs making it convenient to carry whenever you want to change its position.
- The Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright bike can be folded, and this means it can be carried and moved from one place to another not forgetting it only weighs 39lbs.
- It has small dimensions, and this means it occupies less space.
- Since it provides a smooth and quiet ride from the magnetic resistance, it enables you to listen to music while working out.
- The transport wheels are vital when you want to change the position of the bike from one place to another in the house.
- The 8 levels of resistance enable you to experience the different levels of resistance while working out.
- Most customers claim that the seat of the bike is too small for most body sizes
What we think about best upright stationary bike:
The Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright bike is a good value for your money even though it doesn’t have many additional features compared to a normal stationary bike.
Even so it’s a great bike and it delivers good results.
Marcy Foldable Exercise Bike review
The Macy Foldable Exercise bike measures about 18 by 18 inches when folded making it portable and easy to carry around the house.
The best upright stationary bike does not take up much living space especially if you have limited living space especially people who live in studio apartments.
It comes with a high density padded seat, padded handles and a manual adjustment type of resistance which is continuous.
The Macy Foldable Exercise bike also has easy to read screen displays which show the speed, the distance covered and calories burnt.
The seat is also height adjustable for comfortable seating and can also hold up to 250 lb body size weight.
The bike has 8 levels of resistance from which you can choose your level of difficulty when you are exercising.
Not only is the bike foldable, but the foot straps are also adjustable which makes it more fun to use and work with.
- Best upright exercise bike is easy to assemble.
- The foldable bike helps you achieve your body toning and fitness from its manual and continuous adjustment resistance of which it has 8 levels of resistance that you can work with.
- It’s simple and innovative frame design makes it easy for storage and furthermore, it does not take much space in the room.
- The high density padded seat ensures your comfort when working out on the bike, and the adjustable seat height makes it suitable for different body sizes and types.
- It comes with a good warranty of about 2 years.
- Cycling while standing up may disappoint you.
What we think about Marcy Foldable Exercise Bike:
This bike has been designed to fit the user’s needs and its simplicity in design is just the icing on the cake on the different features that the bike has.
Body Rider Fan Bike Review
The Body Rider Fan Bike has a fan wheel that provides a cool and gentle breeze whenever you exercise.
It is unique as it has movable handlebars that enable you to incorporate both upper and lower body workouts.
It can also sustain up to 250 pound body weight size, and it weighs around 47 pounds which mean it can be easily moved from one place to another.
It is designed with a sturdy steel frame, and it measures 41.75 by 22 by 46.5 inches meaning it occupies less space in a room.
The Body Rider Fan Bike has its tension adjustment set on the turn of a knob and also bears a digital display that comes in handy while exercising.
The digital display shows the time, distance covered, your speed and the calories burned.
This quality bike also features an adjustable seat which means it can be used by multiple users.
It also has one of the best warranty packages available for fitness equipment.
The warranty contains a period of one year warranty for the frame and three months on all the parts of the bike.
- The dual action handle bars provides a high intense workout since it incorporates the upper and lower body workout in one session. This enables you to get maximum results from your normal workout.
- The fan enables you to work out for a longer period since it emits a gentle cooling breeze which is essential to you especially when you are on a high intense workout.
- Both its assembled weight and assembled dimensions make it convenient in terms of space usage and portability
- The body has a knob which easily adjusts the tension and resistance which is effective when you workout.
- Some of the buyers have come up complaining that it doesn’t serve well people of tall heights like 6 feet.
What we think about Body Rider Fan Bike:
The Body Rider Fan Bike is a good value for your money as it meets quality and efficiency.
The handle bars make it unique as compared to other fitness bikes.
If you are looking for the best there is in fitness equipments the Body Rider Fan Bike is a good investment for your money.
FitDesk v2.0 Desk Exercise Bike with Massage Bar Review
It features an adjustable 16 by 19 inch desk surface on which you can practically place your laptop and use it while you are continuing with your exercise.
With the type of design that the FitDesk v2.0 Desk Exercise Bike bears, is popular compared to other fitness equipment as it offers what a recumbent bike, an upright bike, and a treadmill have to offer.
The bike is termed as semi recumbent because it has an adjustable backrest but still bears the qualities of an upright stationary bike.
It has a quiet twin belt flywheel which provides a smooth cycling motion.
The small frame and dimensions of the bike can sustain heights of up to 6 feet with body size weight of up to 250 lbs.
It features things like massage rollers which are positioned to make typing while exercising easier and also the desk has an easy access drawer and a nonslip surface.
The bike is very durable as it has been built to last longer and contains high-quality gear components that are reliable on its operations for years.
- The FitDesk v2.0 Desk Exercise Bike has a digital type of resistance meter that tracks the calories burned, the mileage covered, the speed and the heart rate.
- The adjustable backrest offers comfort for the user and increases intensity while you are in a workout session. The seat can also be adjusted in its height so as to accommodate the user.
- The desk job allows you to spend more time on your computer, and you can stream your music online and in most cases people uses this opportunity to see the different workouts online and emulate them.
- The twin belt high velocity flywheel provides a smooth and quiet workout which can enable you to listen to music while exercising.
- You can get sweat on your laptop if you cycle to much 🙂
What we think about FitDesk v2.0 Exercise Bike:
Many of the customers talk of the satisfaction they have gotten from using the FitDesk v2.0 Desk Exercise Bike.
The warranty on this bike is user friendly while its quality and convenience is high not forgetting its price is affordable compared to what the bike offers.
Exerpeutic 500 XLS Foldable Magnetic Upright Bike Review
The bike can sustain body size weight of up to 400 pounds without wearing out.
There are talks of how strong it is, and it is also suitable for both men and women.
This bike is convenient to anyone between 5’1 and 6’5 in height since it has a durable steel frame construction.
The folding magnetic bike bears 8 magnetic resistance levels and comes with a smooth and quiet ride thanks to the magnetic flywheel.
It has an easy to read large computer LCD display with built in pulse sensors which makes it unique.
The large cushioned seat provides comfort while cycling and the oversized foot pedals with safety straps for your feet when pedaling.
The bike can also be folded to half of its usual size which makes it uniquely compact.
- The bike is foldable making it great for a small apartment because it will take up less space.
- It is easy to assemble upon purchase as the manual is easy to follow.
- The quiet magnetic resistance system is convenient especially for those that like to listen to music when working out.
- It is extremely strong as it has a solid frame for a foldable bike and is able to support users of up to 400 lbs.
- The large seat provides comfort while working out and this bike requires only a little maintenance.
- It’s short recommended height is 5’2, and therefore it inconveniences those that are below that height.
- The bike’s pulse tracking system is not that accurate.
What we think about Exerpeutic 500 XLS Upright Bike:
This bike is one of the most durable foldable upright bikes in the current market and bears a high price to quality ratio which makes it affordable.
The Exerpeutic 500 XLS Foldable Magnetic Upright is a great choice for an apartment and offers a great workout exercise for the user.
Stamina ATS Air Resistance Exercise Bike Review
The Stamina ATS Air Resistance Exercise Bike combines the movement of the padded handle bars which work your upper body with the cycling to work on your lower body.
Likewise, it has an adjustable height and a cushioned seat for full comfort.
It bears an in touch fitness monitor that lets you check on your speed, distance, time and the calories that have been burned.
It has a maximum user weight of 250lbs, and the bike itself weighs around 46 lbs.
Its pedals are wide so that they can be able to fit all sizes of shoes but do not have any straps to hold the shoes.
It has a resistance knob that is adjusted to increase or decrease the tension while working out.
The fan wheel can also offer résistance; the faster you pedal, the more the air resistance will occur, and the fan pushes aside more air.
It uses the chain drive type like for an outdoor bike and from time to time it may need some lubrication.
- It provides a full body workout since it has movable handle bars which work on the upper body and the cycling which takes care on the lower body and legs.
- The bike comes with a guide on how to set it up and how to use it.
- The seat of the bike can also be adjusted to fit some different size users.
- Its price is very affordable, and this is a big benefit to the users. Besides the bike offers a variable resistance for beginners.
- It has no accessories like a water bottle holder and bears no transport wheels which means one has to drag it around.
- It is not the ideal bike for an intense workout and you cannot store your workout data in this bike.
What we think about Stamina ATS Exercise Bike:
The unique capability in the Stamina ATS Air Resistance Exercise Bike is the resistance getting harder as you increase the intensity of your workout.
Lastly the bike is affordable and the fact that it delivers results in the long run makes it a good and dependable bike.
Schwinn 130 Upright Exercise Bike Review
The Schwinn 130 Upright Exercise bike is one of those bikes you cannot afford not to own if you are looking to purchase one of top rated upright exercise bikes.
The bike comes with a two LCD screens so you can monitor all the feedback you need for great exercise.
The feedbacks include the calories burnt, time, the distance covered and the speed.
It has a Schwinn connect goal tracking that exports data and allows you to keep in sync with your daily fitness so as to achieve your fitness aims.
It bears a USB charging port which is unique and has 2 programs that are set to keep you motivated and challenged.
This bike comes with 20 resistance levels with a high-speed perimeter weighted flywheel that will make each workout quiet.
The handle bars on the Schwinn 130 Upright bike are angle adjustable and also have an oversized crossbar which enables it to have full stability.
It gets better since this bike also bears 20 levels of the eddy current brake system and has a sizeable warranty.
- The warranty on this bike is very excellent as it contains a 10 year warranty for the frame,90 days labor warranty and a 2 year warranty for the mechanical parts.
- The adjustable handle bars offer a comfortable riding position for you.
- The transport wheel on the Schwinn 130 Upright bike makes it easy to move around the room when you are looking to switch its position.
- The inbuilt speakers offer an audible sound which you can select while working out on the bike.
- Some of the users have complained from the numbness they have gotten from the seat and others have said it pains the groin when they are training.
What we think about Schwinn 130 Upright Exercise Bike:
The Schwinn 130 Upright bike is a good and quality bike as it has been designed to meet customers’ needs.
If you are on the hunt for a good bike that will get the job done at an affordable price then this bike is the best choice for you.
Nautilus U616 Upright Bike Review
The bike features an Eddy Current Brake system with 25 levels of resistance and a good warranty package.
It can support body size weight of up to 300lbs, and this has proved to be a great upgrade to the Nautilus U614 which is the lighter model.
The Nautilus U616 Upright Bike comes with a whole package of extra features which include acoustically chambered speakers which provide a good and audible sound, Bluetooth connectivity and a USB charging port.
What makes this bike so great is that it uses a chest strap to measure the heart rate while working out.
Besides it has a blue back lit dual track LCD display with two LCD windows displays the status of up to 13 workout details.
It also has an adjustable fan and 29 workout programs which can help you during your workout sessions.
- The Bluetooth LE smart connectivity in the Nautilus U616 Upright Bike allows you to sync your data plus there is a Nautilus trainer app which provides you with great workouts during your training session. The inbuilt speakers also help you to enjoy your workout sessions while listening to music if you are a music fan.
- The dual track display in the bike enables you to place your tablet or magazine as you still continue viewing your workout data on the other screen.
- The 29 preprogrammed workouts and the 25 levels of resistance will enable you to get a high intensity and quality workout in every session.
- The workout itself when using the bike is smooth and quiet and this is due to the weighted flywheel and the high inertia drive system.
- In rare cases some users have complained about the app connectivity but this has been rectified overtime.
What we think about Nautilus U616 Upright Bike:
The Nautilus U616 Upright Bike is one of the best upright bikes as it is a good value for your money.
As we have seen from its different array of features, this bike delivers both quality and comfort as it has been customized to fit the user’s needs.
Velocity Exercise Dual Motion Recumbent Bike Review
The user gets to enjoy a comfortable seat as it has a back rest which is adjustable and uses a rotating handles system.
This bike has 8 levels of tension resistance and a quick stop brake which can also be used to create tension that stimulates a hill cycling effect.
The bike has adjustable foot straps and a body size weight of up to 250 lbs.
The flywheel on this bike is a belt driven 5 kg flywheel with a one way bearing belt.
The price tag on this recumbent bike is affordable and worth it while its assembly is easy to assemble as you can do it in just under an hour.
It takes up a little space which means you can have it anywhere around the house.
- This bike is a low budget home exercise bike which means it is affordable and convenient for many home users.
- The rotating handle system enables you to have a dual motion workout. This is because the rotating handle bars give you an upper body workout and the cycling works on your lower body. Not forgetting, the rotating handles also have a console that can be adjusted with resistance.
- The 5kg flywheel on this bike guarantees you a challenging and good workout in every session you partake.
- The console on the Velocity Exercise Dual Motion Recumbent Bike is easy to read and monitor as it offers information on the basics such as the speed, calories burned, distance and the heart rate which is triggered by gripping the handlebar on the side of the seat.
- It is not that big of a deal, but this bike requires assembling upon its purchase which can be a hassle to some people.
- Its display also has the basics with no added features which gives it a disadvantage compared to other bikes in the current market.
What we think about Velocity Exercise Recumbent Bike:
The fact that this Velocity Exercise Dual Motion Recumbent Bike has a dual motion workout makes it a go for bike if you are looking to buy fitness equipment.
It comes out as unique and also allows you to dismount and mount the unit without having to climb over the middle bar.
Schwinn AD6 Airdyne Upright Exercise Bike Review
It is a little different from the Schwinn AD 4 Airdyne upright exercise bike.
It offers a complete workout soon as you start using it.
The Schwinn AD 6 Airdyne upright exercise bike offers superior performance, durability and comfort for a home gym.
It comes with transport wheels and a great warranty from the manufacturers.
The seat on this bike is fairly large and comfortable, and the pedals have adjustable foot straps which enable you to constant pedaling without stopping.
The bike also comes with four levelers which assure you of good stability from the bike, and it allows a lower and upper body workout either simultaneously or independently.
It features an integrated water bottle holder.
Its console can continuously show 6 workouts, and it has the new Revmetre RPM gauge which is a good and fun way to see your results as you workout.
It has oscillating handle bars which mean you can apply your strength in all directions when working out.
It is also backed by a terrific warranty which is advantageous to the user.
- The warranty on this Schwinn AD6 Airdyne upright exercise bike includes a six month labor warranty, a 15 year frame warranty, and a three year mechanical warranty among others.
- The water bottle holder helps you to do your workout without stopping to go for a drink.
- It is space friendly because it does not occupy a large space due to its small size in nature.
- The infinite wind resistance on this bike is good for workouts because the harder you pedal the harder the resistance and the better the results.
- It offers a great workout session due to the existence of the oscillating handle bars that work on your biceps and triceps. The cycling works on your lower body and the legs.
- It has a windscreen and a reading rack accessory but has to be bought separately, and this can be inconvenient to the buyers. They should have offered it as part of the package of buying the bike.
What we think about Schwinn AD6 Upright Exercise Bike:
The Schwinn AD6 Airdyne upright exercise bike might not be the cheapest bike available, but the good thing is it makes up for its price tag.
It well built and it’s both upper and lower body workouts is a great plus.
The best upright stationary bike is simple in its assembly especially when you are dealing with the upright bike since it contains a set of gears that provide resistance when working out, handle bars to use when cycling, a pair of pedals and an LCD monitor that updates you on the progress of your workout.
Benefits of an upright exercise bike
- Top rated upright exercise bikes provide a high intense workout from a workout session with low impact. This is because the intensity will depend on the levels of resistance and the rate of pedaling by the user.
- It also promotes cardiovascular health. This is because when you exercise with the bike more calories are burned and in turn the body stays fit and in good shape.
- An upright stationary bike is easy to use: Once it is assembled, it does not need any training or guidance. This also makes it more convenient compared to other fitness equipment in the gym.
- This bike helps to build leg strength, and this is from the constant pedaling when you are exercising.
- An upright stationary bike also helps facilitate an increase in stamina. This is because it incorporates the lower body and a variation in body movements while working out.
- The upright exercise bike provides a good warm up workout. This is usually convenient for athletes during track and field events and also body builders before they lift their weights. The same case also applies to soccer players before they get into the field where they have a 5 minute workout on an upright stationary bike in their dressing room before they get into the field.
- The bike is a safe fitness equipment to use especially when you follow the basic safety rules on the guide program.
- The bike comes with inbuilt programs which help you to monitor your speed when working out, and also they bear a heart rate monitor which provides convenience when working out.
Features to look out for
The best upright exercise bikes come in different forms and sizes as some of them have additional features which make them better than others. Before going into the market to look factor in some things to help you get a machine that not only matches your budget but also your tastes and preferences. Things to consider include;
- Low priced
The amount at which the upright stationary bike costs will play a big role in its performance. Bikes that cost around 200$ are generally for home use because they will be used few times in a day and therefore will be able to serve you for a long period. They are also reliable for gentle workouts and sessions of about one to two hours a day. They usually have features like basic resistance levels, quiet handling, and a few programming options.
- Mid range
In the market, you will also find mid range priced upright stationary bikes which usually range from 400$ to 600$.They are more reliable and stronger machines and have more sturdiness in them. The bikes are easy to use with built in workout programs and a heart rate monitor and magnetic resistance.
- High priced
The high priced types of bikes are those that you go for when you are looking for a high quality machine. They can last up to decades and range between 1300$ to 1500$ and have additional features like LED displays, built in workout programs some having up to 35 programs. They are very durable with push button resistance controls and electronic displays that measure a number of calories burned and heart rate.
Resistance and Programs
The type of resistance an upright stationary bike has will determine a lot during your workout sessions. There are two kinds or resistance; the magnetic type of resistance that is common with this bike and the flywheel common in recumbent bikes. The results delivered by the resistances is the same since the more the resistance, the more the wheel is made harder to turn and the more you have to work harder to yield impressive results. The high end type of bikes usually has workout programs tailored to monitor your heart rate by checking on your fitness levels as you workout.
Most upright stationary bikes have this kind of feature in them which is usually a small screen that gives you details every time you workout. The details include the distance traveled, the workout time, the current speed when pedaling and the resistance levels. The high end bikes have built in fans, bluetooth, and mp3 music.
Heart rate Monitors
This is very recommendable to check when buying an upright stationary bike. This is because it is essential in keeping track in your exercise especially when you are using the chest straps which tend to be more accurate. For common bikes, you need to grab the handle bars for the heart rate monitor to work, and this is usually mostly unreliable at times.
You cannot start any exercise if you are not comfortable with the equipment in use. For upright station bikes, you have to be keen on choosing the bike that can be easily adjusted easily to your shape and size. You should not adjust your seat height too low as this can damage your knees and strain them. Instead the knees should be slightly bent to achieve a good cycle, and the handle bars should be set in a way that you will get your arm to stretch fully.
Water Bottle Holder
Even though this is not much of necessity, it saves you from unnecessary hassles during the workout session like breaking to go to the taps to drink water. Therefore, water bottles holders come in handy when you are working out.
How Do Indoor Bikes Function
Indoor bikes are usually easy to use and rarely will you find a person needing a trainer to show them how to use them. Indoor cycling is basically a workout at incorporates a heavy flywheel with an adjustable resistance to select and change the desired exertion challenging level.
The rider usually seats on the bike seat on an indoor bike just like the normal bicycle, places their feet on the pedals and spins the flywheel after selecting the resistance level they are comfortable with.
The flywheel on an indoor bike is the only part that sets it apart from the normal stationary bike as it helps your leg exertion to create a momentum that can be resisted through the brakes.
Conclusion of upright stationary bike reviews
With spinning bike you will get an excellent and visible result from the workout sessions but if you are looking for an upright stationary bike you have to go for quality and comfort along with a bike that fully fits you and your lifestyle.