Table of Contents
Are you one of the millions of Americans who wake up every morning with pain in their backs? Are you ready to do anything so that you do not have to feel that pain ever again? Well, the good news is, you do not have to do much, and the solution lies in mattresses that are designed with the needs of back pain sufferers in mind.
Back pain is something that strikes all age divisions, students, teenagers, workers, seniors, and we have all experienced it sometimes. Occasional or acute backaches are bearable until they become chronic. Chronic back pain is a true disruptor of every aspect of daily life, and it can appear as a consequence of another medical condition or a specific lifestyle. In the majority of cases, the pain symptoms will improve over time with a bit of self-care, but if the pain is persistent and lasts longer than three months, the condition is considered a chronic one. Some therapies that can mitigate the pain include massage, acupuncture, behavioral therapy, etc.
Top 6 Mattresses for Sleepers With Bad Back
When shopping for a new bed, you need to bear in mind your preferred sleep position, body weight, and height. Back pain sufferers are a sensitive category; hence, they need a sleeping surface that will alleviate their aches. Something not too firm, not too soft, but supportive enough to keep the spine aligned. With soft models, the spine will curve, while firmer models can put additional pressure on the hips, which is why it is best to find a medium-firm, or slightly firm model, according to your weight. The mattress is an essential part of your sleep setup, which is why this purchase needs to be taken wisely, with no mistakes.
- Layla mattress. For our first pick, we choose Layla because it is flippable, so it is like having two beds with two different firmness levels in one mattress. One side is soft, and the other one is firm. The mattress is antimicrobial, made from copper-infused memory foam. In case none of its two sides works for your back, you can return it and get your money back during the first 120 days.
- Brooklyn Bedding Bowery Hybrid. Although this mattress comes only in medium-firm option, that is the most universal one, and also suitable for back pain sufferers. The bed combines supportive coils for the back with layers of gel and memory foam, which are providing comfort and coziness. It comes as a bed in a box with 120-night long sleep trial.
- DreamCloud Luxury Hybrid Mattress. This model comes in three different levels of firmness, which makes it perfect for anyone’s preferences. It combines the supportive coil system and a unique contouring feature of memory foam for the ultimate sleeping experience. A year-long sleep trial period is long enough to tell if this is the right choice.
- Brooklyn Bedding Bloom Hybrid. If you are looking for a mattress made from natural materials, this one is hard to beat. Coming in three firmness options, Bloom Hybrid is built using Talalay latex, organic cotton, and Joma wool, which makes it a great alternative to the other coil and foam beds. It comes in a box with 120 nights of sleep trial.
- Helix Twilight Luxe Mattress. The bed was designed with back pain sufferers in mind, and it is described as a firm. It incorporates a layer of body zoning which is supposed to target all your pressure points and provide extra support for the lower back, hips, and shoulders. It is constructed with coils, gel and memory foam, and a cooling cover on the top. Sleep trial is only 100 nights, but it is still enough to test it out and give your back a chance to get used to it.
- Saatva Classic Luxury Mattress. If you are looking for the comfort of the finest hotel beds, that this is the right one for you. Saatva designed this bed in three firmness levels, particularly for sleepers struggling with backaches. The bad has a specially designed wire zone for lumbar support, which targets the lower back area and gives it that extra support. Besides that, it incorporates coils and foam, and it does not tend to sleep hot. If you are looking for higher customization, the adjustable base is also available, as well as the 120 nights sleep trial.
Additional Tips for Back Pain Sufferers
If you feel like you are already snoozing on the cloud, then perhaps the problem lies in something else. Pillows, for example, are also the cause of many neck and back-related aches. So getting a proper pillow designed for people who suffer from neck or back pain is something you should consider.
Side sleepers will need a pillow with a higher loft so that their neck has enough support, and the spine is aligned correctly. For sleepers in this position, we also recommend an extra pillow for in between their legs; this way, the lower back pain should be relieved. Stomach and back sleepers do not need as much loft, but it is essential that the pillow is comfortable and supportive.
If changing the pillow did not help, then we suggest considering one of the models from our list of best mattresses for back pain. Also, pay attention to how much time you spend sitting at work or in front of your PC/TV and in which position. Incorrect sitting posture is one of the most common causes of back pain among younger adults.
The Bottom Line
Only the people who are waking up every morning with pains in their backs know how exhausting it is, but they should not accept to live with that pain. We suggest checking out some of our mattress suggestions because these mattresses can be a game-changer for your sleep and back.
Since they all come with a sleep trial, you might try a few of them until you find and settle for the right one. Laying in bed for 15 minutes in the store is a small snippet of what you are getting, but in order to adjust to the new sleeping surface, your body will need more time.