Table of Contents
Last updated on: February 9th, 2020
The feeling that we often associate with the bathroom is relaxation and comfort, but is that the case all the time? Truth be said, there are times when we least expect and what we term as one of the safest rooms in our house becomes a source of unforeseen danger and accidents.
Imagine this, that small room in your house that you hold dear could expose you and your loved ones to chronic illnesses, physical injuries and even chemical poisoning.
Are you still doubting?
Let’s elaborate this for you;
As we all could agree, most homeowners prefer having their tiled bathroom finishing.
Well, while that’s a good step especially if you looking at it from the hygienic angle, it possesses several dangers to various bathroom users on a daily basis.
The primary reason for worry is the fact that typically a bathroom is a wet area.
Which means that there’s splashing of water right from the brushing sinks, tubs, showers, toilet or https://ever-unfolding.net/best-shower-panel-reviews/ .
Therefore, any amount of water on the floor makes it slippery thus increasing the chances of falling.
And of course with this comes dislocations, minor injuries, and even life-threatening tremors.
Although everyone can slip and fall in the bathroom, older women (above 50 years) and children (under 5 years), tend to be more vulnerable to these kinds of accidents.
The reason for this is because both age sets have difficulties maintaining body balance due to various reasons.
It’s even worse for children as they lack the essence of self-protection.
How Do I prevent this?
- First, you have to ensure that the bath is stable and secure by investing in special bathroom mats that can withstand water and are anti-slippery.
- You can strategically place these rugs at bath/shower entry and exit points to ensure they grab the excess dripping water as you shower or exit the shower.
- Secondly, if rugs aren’t your cup of tea, then you can consider getting anti-slippery bathroom stickers/tapes.
- In most cases, these tapes have a rough ending that would assist your foot to maintain its hold on the ground as you make your way around.
- However, you would have to ensure you fix them properly to eliminate any chance of turning them into a microorganism breeding ground.
- Additionally, consider investing in grab bars and those quality safety rails that would make a perfect hold when moving through slippery surfaces.
- Ensure to have then within reach especially for the children in the house.
- And finally, it could be much better if you get a bath seat.
- Remember lousy health come knocking at the door at any time.
- Also, ensure you make an excellent choice of your flooring with a firm material such as ceramic over glazed tiles.
Chemical poisoning is common in small bathrooms with poor ventilation.
The main reason for this is a result of the chemicals used in the daily cleaning procedures that don’t get enough room to diffuse into the fresh air.
Thus, in the long run, the chemicals end up pilling up in the space leading to the emission of toxic substances.
When we inhale these substances, they end up poisoning our systems which could lead to terminal illnesses such as breathing problems.
How Do I Prevent This?
- Pay close attention to the ingredients of bathroom cleaning agents before you purchase.
- For instance, avoid products that contain strong smells as they will stay in there for long.
- Also, anything containing ammonia or chlorine shouldn’t make it to your shopping list.
- It’s always good to pay attention to product labels.
- Check for any extra advice that the manufacturers provide.
- Be sure to wear a respirator mask before you start your daily cleaning routine.
- Also, develop a preference for “non-toxic” labeled products over “Toxic” no matter how tempting the offer.
- You think you are safe because you have quality cleaning products? It’s time to pay close attention to other accessory materials such as shower curtains.
- If yours are out of PVC, then it’s time for a swap as they release dangerous substances.
- There are so many eco-friendly brands out there to try out.
- Do you love your unnatural air fresheners? Well, it’s time to rethink your choice.
- Research shows that prolonged use of such can lead to breathing problems and constant headaches.
- Go natural with candles and fresh flowers.
Since the bathroom area is wet most of the time, it provides a conducive environment for the growth of organisms such as mold and fungus.
The effects are made worse with lack of proper ventilation and the visible aging water connection pipes.
And although these two might seem harmless in the beginning, you shouldn’t ignore the harm they pose through the spread of spores into the air.
Here you can easily inhale the toxins into our bodies, and if your immunity is on the lower side, you risk contracting a wide range of life-threatening allergic respiratory diseases such as Asthma.
How Do I Prevent This?
- We wish there were a more natural way around this one, but unfortunately, it’s best that your bathroom undergoes reconstruction to eliminate the fungus and mold through thorough professional treatment.
- However, if you are running on a tight budget, then you could consider conducting an essential procedure that usually comprises a hot washing powder and soda solution.
- The secret is to entirely alkaline the environment such that the fungus and mold find no basis for development.
- Nevertheless, if you cannot reconstruct, you should be ready to keep treating the area often as it’s difficult to eliminate the fungi pores as they can safely hide beneath the surface.
- As you can see, this could be expensive in the long run, thus the need to seriously consider a permanent solution once and for all.
Now that you know what to do to keep your bathroom safe and hygienic for you and your loved ones, we hope that you will consider these tips in your daily bathroom safety check-up list.
We appreciate you reading to the end!