Table of Contents
Last updated on: February 6th, 2020
Hair removal is, of course, a tedious task. There are multiple ways to remove unwanted hair growths from the body. Getting rid of undesired hairs by shaving is the most common method, thanks to the painless nature of the procedure.
Shaving must be done on a frequent basis to achieve a smooth and hairless skin. Make sure to check our epilator reviews.
Moreover, shaving is not efficient as it is unable to remove the finest hairs from the skin to provide better smoothness of skin.
On the other hand, waxing and epilating include removal of hairs from their roots by pulling them off directly from the skin.
Hair removal from roots results in prolonged skin smoothness.
The process of removing hair from its root results might cause pain that may spoil your pleasant hair removal experience.
If a person is going for waxing or epilation for the first time, then it may cause immense pain and may be unbearable.
Tips For Reducing Pain
To reduce the impact of pain caused by epilating and waxing, there are certain tips and tricks.
The rest of the article is divided into two parts.
In the first section, we will list some helpful tips for reducing pain caused by waxing.
Epilating tips are covered in the second section.
Tips for reducing pain due to waxing
Removing unwanted body hair is a good way to look more attractive and has become commonplace.
Waxing is one such means to remove undesired body hairs.
Waxing your body means that you have to remove hair by pulling it off that is certainly a painful experience.
Waxing offers far better results than shaving. It also removes dead skin cells while preventing ingrown hair.
Waxing sensitive areas such as the bikini area can be more painful than waxing other body parts.
Reducing the pain inflicted by waxing is possible.
One common way is to numb the body part where waxing needs to be done.
Here are some other waxing tips that can help in reducing pain:
- Aspirin – Taking an analgesic such as aspirin can help in reducing pain caused by waxing. All you need to do is to consume aspirin 30 minutes before your waxing session. Aspirin reduces the sensitivity of body toward pain and hence makes waxing less painful.
- Numbing gel or spray – Use of numbing gel or spray is ideal to use when you are removing coarse hair that causes an enormous amount of pain. Such pain might be unbearable for some people, so it is a good idea to apply numbing gel or spray before waxing. Applying numbing gel or spray on a body area results in temporary numbness. Numbing gels and sprays are readily available at pharmacies.
- Hot bed – With the help of a hot bed, you can warm compress on the waxing area. This will result in loosening of the skin pores and grip of hair roots. Consequently, it becomes easy to pull off the hair and thus results in a reduced amount of pain during waxing.
- Hot wax – Using hot wax results in quick waxing sessions. Compared to cold wax, hot wax reduces pain and is less messy. It is necessary to do a patch test to check the temperature of wax before applying it so that one should not get burns due to the overheated wax. A person having a heat sensitive skin should avoid using hot wax.
- Stretching skin – You can reduce pain caused due to waxing by stretching skin. Pulling skin during waxing will result in swift hair removal.
- Ensure absence of sweat – Sweaty or oily skin results in more pain caused by waxing. The reason is simple; hold of wax on hair is weaker in the presence of sweat or oil. Use a towel to wipe off the sweat or use a talc or baby powder to eliminate oil present in the skin.
- Scrub yourself – Scrub your body before your waxing session, as scrubbing will help in exfoliating the skin and removes dead skin cells. You can use a homemade mixture of sugar and lemon to exfoliate skin. This mixture acts as a great exfoliator and reduces the growth of hairs. You are also free to try readymade exfoliating scrubs.
- Use loofah during baths – Loofah is very efficient in reducing the growth of hairs. Using loofah regularly during baths helps in slowing down the hair growth. You can also use a pumice stone in place of a loofah.
- Relax – You should relax before waxing. You can accomplish this by having a glass of wine. This will result in an increase in the body temperature along with relaxing hair follicles. After you’ve consumed a little glass of wine, you will sense less pain during your waxing session than usual.
- Hire a professional for the task – Instead of waxing yourself; you could hire a professional waxer to do your waxing. Although hiring a professional will cost you more, it will be worth your money. They have best products for waxing and utilizes their experience to reduce the pain as much as possible.
- Pulling technique – Pulling hairs from a direction that is opposite to their growth will certainly reduce the amount of pain imposed by waxing. Such pulling from opposite direction results in the removal of more number of hairs while suppressing the amount of pain.
- Breathing techniques – An improvised breathing technique is very effective in reducing the pain caused due to waxing. You have to do the breathing technique when your hair is just about to be pulled by the waxer. This will help you to divert your mind from the pain. All you need to do is to hold your breath while waxer pulls your hair and exhale soon after.
- Avoid consuming certain foods – You should avoid taking foods that contain caffeine or sugar on your waxing day. Consuming such foods will cause more pain during the waxing session. It is also good to avoid smoking because nicotine present in the tobacco increases pain sensation.
Tips for reducing pain due to epilation
Epilation is the process of removing hair from its root by pulling them off with the help of an electric device known as epilator.
Epilating is painful but with each successive session; the pain reduces just like waxing.
However, epilating costs much less as compared to waxing and needs one-time investment in buying an epilator.
Epilator delivers better results as compared to waxing and the skin can remain smooth and hairless for almost three weeks.
High-end epilators are even capable of removing finest hairs, which adds to its long list of advantages.
Pain caused by epilation depends on the skin sensitivity and is high when using an epilator for the very first time.
Certain tips can help you to reduce the pain caused by epilation.
- Take a waxing session – If you are used to waxing then taking a professional waxing session about a week before epilating will help in reducing pain. Hairs that grow after waxing are weaker and thinner. Epilating such hairs result in reduced amount of pain and are easy to pull directly from their roots. This method of reducing pain is very helpful when you are epilating for the first time.
- Exfoliating – Dead skin cells are responsible for ingrown hairs because they block growth pathways of hairs. Ingrown hairs leave red bumps that cause pain during epilation. You can avoid ingrown hairs by exfoliating on a regular basis. Exfoliating your skin 1 or 2 days before epilation helps in reducing pain.
- Take a shower/bath before epilation – Taking a warm shower or bath helps in relaxing skin by opening up the pores. When pores open, it becomes easy to remove hairs from their roots. It is a simple yet effective method of reducing pain caused by epilation. Dry and wet epilators are best for using in showers and are waterproof so that you do not have to worry about them getting water splashes.
- Numbing creams and gels – Numbing creams and gels are easily available, and you can apply them on your skin before epilating to reduce pain. These products will numb the area for a limited time span. Do not apply large quantities of numbing products, as they can be harmful.
- Wine – A glass of wine can help you relax while reducing the pain caused by epilating. However, you should never consume a large quantity of wine because epilating yourself while getting drunk isn’t a good idea at all.
- Hair length – Maintaining similar hair length works perfectly for reducing epilation pain. You can achieve similar length hairs by epilating once within a week or two. Such practice will help you get painless experiences in the future. The efficiency of removing hairs with similar lengths is great as compared to hairs with non-similar lengths.
- Taut skin – Removing hair from the tight skin is less painful because tweezers present in epilator pinches less on a tight skin. Taut skin helps lifting hairs up, which makes it easier for epilator to catch and remove.
And no matter the pain… you will quickly forget about it as soon as you feel how smooth your skin is.